Search This Blog

Sunday, January 8, 2012

"Plant the first seed right at your toes", Senegalese Proverb

Where to start?
How can we bring about change when it seems to be such an impossible feat? In thinking of all the things I'd like to change in my life, my relationships, my household, my community, my world, I don't know where to start.  It seems like such an insurmountable task.  Some days I ask myself, "Is it realistic to care about the many problems and issues that crop up around me.  But after some reflection, I know that if I am blessed with the intellect to be able to observe, acknowledge and analyze then it must be for a reason. That reason may be as simple as just being aware and helping others to be aware.  Honestly, the many thoughts that I give over to contemplation and worry does make it hard for me to fall asleep at night and so the first place I will start is to ask God for patience and wisdom.  Sometimes the best solution is the simple one but without patience will we get to it and without wisdom will we recognize it?  And so after my prayer, I will start with the changes in myself.  I will plant the first seed right at my toes.

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love it! African Proverbs and words of wisdom from my sage, insightful cuzzin! I'm staying tuned! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Asha. You know I need your encouragement in order to keep this up. :)

      Delete
  2. Sweet sis this is an awesome piece! May Allah continue to grant you the wisdom and strength to fulfill this passionate task of helping make the world a better place.

    ReplyDelete